Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Reuben Chips? What the...

New York Reuben Potato Chips by Lays


Taste: 3 of 5

So this isn't the first year Lay's has done their "Do us a flavor" contest, but this is the first time I picked up a bag of them.  I just think this year has some interesting combos.  But this--I had to try this.  Potato chips flavored like a Reuben sandwhich?  How can it be?

I half expected them to taste like barbecue chips.  I've been burnt before on cleverly named chip flavors that advertise themselves as one thing, but it ends up being a variation on a similar flavor.  But taking one bite of these chips and it is clear they put some thought into flavoring these bad boys.

They actually taste like Reubens!

I had to try another--what sort of black magic are they doing at Lays now?  Surely there are 5 men in dark robes arranged in a circle around a pentagram calling out to some dark evil to help them flavor these chips!  It's just unnatural.  I mean there is rye bread in there, I taste like saurkraut, and corned beef...what is going on?

The ingredients are equally mysterious--Reuben flavoring.  What's that?

So, after the novelty wears off, you kind of start to realize, it's just a potato chip.  And, nothing against good 'ol reuben, I wouldn't pick you over sour cream and onion or barbecue...just saying.

So I enjoyed my fling with my slutty chip, but I will come back to barbecue begging for forgiveness for cheating.  My time spent with Reuben chips really wasn't that good, (but it was fun while it lasted).

No comments:

Post a Comment